I once had someone say to me, “this is gonna be your year”. I thought that was crazy at the time, but as everyone is looking back at 2013, yah, I think it was the start of “my year”. I learned a lot about myself, about the world, and how complicated life and business really is. With everything that I experienced, it will only help 2014 be an even better year. So, to prep and remind myself, here are the top 13 things I learned this year.
1. I’d rather be honest than impressive. I think my #1 pet peeve is someone not telling me the truth, so I always tell the truth. Even though it doesn’t always benefit me, I look back and always find that I’m much happier with telling the truth than inflating it and looking like a big shot.
2. Don’t let work be your life. Work, so that you can live that life that you want to. This came late this year, but I realized that it doesn’t really pay to put work before your family, friends, or yourself. There will always be more work to do, it will never be complete, and sometimes hard work doesn’t pay off. Work hard, but remember that you work so that you can live the life that you want to live. So remember to live it up.
3. Forget those who forget you. I found myself caring a lot about people who never really cared that much about me. It doesn’t do you any good, so its time to move on and give time and energy to those who do value you.
4. Know who you are and know that it’s enough. Indeed-y. Stick to your values, what you believe in, and never apologize for who you are, even when others are trying to bring you down. Believe in yourself. Even when no one else does.
5. Never stop doing your best just because someone doesn’t give you credit. This is something that I’ve never stopped doing, but as I’ve been a part of some big projects I realized that it’s more important now than ever. No one is going to give you a pat on the back every time in front of thousands of people, or give you that virtual high five. Just because it doesn’t have your name on it, it doesn’t mean that you stop doing superb work or putting your best foot forward. Sometimes the stuff you do when no one is watching matters more.
6. You can’t always get what you want. Truth. Even if you work your butt off, sometimes it just doesn’t work out like you planned. And so what? Life is too short and too wonderful to miss out on. Something else will come along that you want and that you will get.
7. Take time for yourself. This is a big one. I’ve been so caught up with work and pouring 60-70+ hour work weeks that I didn’t take care of myself this year. I bought 40 Yoga classes, and realized its been almost an entire year that I haven’t used them. Needless to say, right now I’m scrambling and going to yoga every day to make sure I don’t waste a dime. Take care of yourself. No one will take care of you for you, you need to make sure that you’re doing what you need to do what’s best for you. Your health and well-being is invaluable.
8. Shit could be worse. When you think that you have the worst day E-V-E-R, stop and remember that it’s really not that bad and there are so many other circumstances you could be in that are much worse. Be grateful, even for those bad days as they help make you who you are and can only make you a better person.
9. Do what you really love. I work because I love this shit. Find what you love and never let go. Your job, hobby, or practice it doesn’t just appear out of no where and it doesn’t come in a linear fashion. Sometimes the path to your “dream” is a zigzag or a bumpy one, but that’s ok.
10. Surround yourself with people who are only going to lift you higher. I think this makes all the difference. The people that make us better, push us farther, and make us laugh make life, well, a wonderful life. Hang out with peeps that are only going to make you a better person.
11. Keep an open mind. Nothing stays the same, inspiration can come from anywhere and anybody. Don’t shutout anyone or anything just because it isn’t the status quo. Walt Disney practiced this a lot. He didn’t care where the ideas came from or what your job title was, he just wanted the best ideas and sometimes that’s when the best ideas come from – where and when you least expect it.
13. Best Yourself. Always try to make yourself better. You can always improve. You can’t control the circumstances around you, you can only control you. You’re the only one that can make yourself happy and you have the opportunity to change and make your life what you want it to be.
So, I’m looking forward to the next year, I think no matter what happens it will be my year.